With the change in seasons comes that inevitable reshuffling of every closet in the house. Sweaters are unearthed, shorts are tucked away. And we ALL have that moment where we wonder how we made it all fit last year.
But, never fear! Let me hit you with some rockstar closet organizing tips to make that perennial fear of a closet avalanche a thing of the past.
This is not a huge closet but they've followed the number one rule of closet organizing: make the most of every surface. Take storage as high and low as you can.
Look closely: Each arrow points to a part of most closets that sits like an untapped resource just waiting for our stuff.
Adding a shelf above the hanging rod or a shelf a few inches above the floor are super simple changes but they create a place for everything and valuable storage space. (A shelf just above the floor can seem redundant but now you can put more shoes below and it makes the shoes on the shelf feel more "corralled".)
Installing towel rods along the wall to hang your heels? Love it! (Need a place for belts or ties? That'll work, too.)
Insider tip: be sure to use anchors when installing shelves and rods so they're strong enough to support the weight of your things.
One of the easiest ways to feel organized? Give everything a place. Using inexpensive catch-all bins for all those little things that float around the closet keeps them from spreading out and saves space for the big things that need more room.
Alright, let's go from the bedroom to the kitchen. As you whip up all kinds of pumpkin-apple-cinnamon goodness, sprinkle a dash of fabulous on your pantry, too.
These folks made this space WORK!
1. Storage goes all the way up, like a boss.
2. Those little side walls that sit empty in most pantries? Not here...they rocked it out with copper storage cups for those random tiny things we all need a place for.
3. Pull out storage under your lowest shelf? Yes, please.
4. Again, smart floor storage means everything that would spread out all over the floor has a nice place to call home.
5. But, where they sold me? Those doors. How much cabinet space did they reclaim using their doors for narrow storage?
I can feel it, you're ready to make your closets a thing of beauty. Head to IKEA/Target/The Container Store and unleash your inner organizer. Tell us how it goes in the comments section!
For more #whyitworks and a behind-the-scenes look at Niche, follow me on Instagram @camilles_niche.